Volunteer, Visit Us or Partner with Us
We promise it will be the experience of a lifetime.
Social Impact Tours
No trip to Tanzania is complete without an understanding of how people truly live – but how to experience this in an ethical and respectful manner? Our Social Impact Tours are designed to have minimal impact on our village, work and clients, while allowing you to see what we do with your own eyes and providing income-generating opportunities to our families. We require a minimum of 48-hour notice for all guests. Morning tours will begin at 9am and afternoon tours will begin at 1pm. Variations to these times can be accommodated on a case by case basis. We can’t wait to see you!
Longer stays available by request. We encourage visitors to donate as much as they are able – every dollar goes so far!
- See how a typical farming family truly lives: Enjoy the unique and once in a lifetime experience of seeing firsthand how community members in Nkoaranga lead their lives. You will visit one of the families that we work closely with, where you will be warmly invited into their home. The family will provide you with a traditional snack and tea and then you can help around the farm and see basis of the family’s livelihood. You will see the exclusive, firsthand view of how the majority of community members live and how the family’s partnership with TST has helped them secure a better life for themselves, and their children.
- Visit the Community Daycare: Located at the Happy Family Children’s Village, the community daycare center provides a high quality, pre-primary education to the children from the village, children of TST Staff, and the pre-primary aged children from the Children’s Village. Spend some time working, assisting, and most importantly playing with the children at the daycare center. Start the day by leading circle time with your favorite childhood storybook, guide the children in a creative arts and crafts project, teach the children and staff new, interactive songs, or organize some recess games and activities. No matter how you spend your time at the daycare center, be prepared for your cheeks to ache from all of the smiling.
- Sit with our Jewelry Students: Led by our Social Enterprise Coordinator Reuben, you will have the opportunity to see the products of our social enterprise jewelry program. We work with individuals from the community who are interested and committed to learning basic jewelry making skills that they can then use to start their own small business.
Please note that we can’t guarantee that all activities will be available at all times, and that for child protection reasons, contact with our residential children will be strictly limited.
We will get back to you as soon as possible with our availability!
Volunteer Ethically in Tanzania
Want to be part of our efforts for happy, healthy childhoods? We would love to have you! Read on to learn how to join us in Tanzania, or click through here to read about our volunteering philosophy, and how volunteers can ensure they are doing more good than harm with their efforts. The biggest single piece of advice is to volunteer directly with organizations working on the ground, not through for-profit agencies. 100% of our volunteer costs and fundraising are put towards your stay and programs that help our children.
In order to provide chance, not charity, for the children and families that reside in the Meru District, we invite interested volunteers from all over the world to join our cause. TST works with the local community to create high impact and ethically responsible volunteer opportunities for those interested in affecting sustainable and long-lasting change. We are a completely humanitarian, non-denominational, registered nonprofit with one simple motive—to provide opportunity to the vulnerable children and families of Nkoaranga. We are a small, tight knit team and we really depend on the commitment of the volunteers we partner with to help support our operations. Volunteering with TST will mean that you are part of a dedicated global network of people who truly want to make a difference!
For very short stays, we generally recommend that people come visit us for up to a week and participate in our social impact tours program. However, if you have a few weeks available and some special skills, we’d love to talk to you about volunteering to lead a workshop instead! Volunteers run workshops on a huge range of topics – basic medical care, art (painting, jewelry making, knitting), woodworking, bookkeeping, or almost anything else you can think of. Are you an educator with experience in ESL? Can you teach a new art technique? Run a soccer day with outreach kids? Make murals? Teach dancing? Get in touch with your timing and a few ideas and we will set something up! Note: You will require a volunteer (“business”) visa to participate in this program.
We are always looking for dedicated longer-term volunteers who are interested in working with and loving our children! Childcare volunteers now have a minimum stay of four weeks, as it is too tough for the kids if there are many people in and out, building intense relationships with them. Trust us, it is impossible not to fall in love with these kids. Most volunteers will spend the days working in our preschool, working with wonderful kiddos from 2-5 years old. We cannot recommend the longer stay highly enough – you won’t want to leave!
We have several internship positions that are available at various times, for a minimum of 4 months – please contact us if you are interested in these or in providing another type of support!
- Social work intern – help with developmental assessments, help keep up children’s care plans and files, works very closely with Child Welfare Coordinator and Officer.
- Volunteer leadership intern – assist volunteer coordinator with orienting, managing and scheduling volunteers during their stay, as well as volunteer recruitment.
- Education intern – designed for those with teaching and ESL qualifications, this internship involves regular tutoring with TST staff and children to improve their English and academics.
- US-Based Development Intern: Support for the development director an ED with the creation of events, fundraising programs, donor communications, etc
We offer several accomodation options, and are happy to host volunteers with their own housing – we can also refer you to some beautiful high-end lodges in the area!
- Volunteer Compound: Basic accomodations in the compound with TST’s office, including lunch of weekdays, western style bathrooms, and wireless internet (infrastructure permitting).
- Homestay: Enjoy a taste of village life by staying with a local family, close to the TST compound. You will share meals with the family and be provided with basic accomodation, including western style bathrooms.
- Outside Accomodations: For visitors seeking a more luxurious experience, we can refer you to a number of wonderful facilities nearby our work, including Rivertrees Country Inn, Usa River Rehabilitation Center Guesthouse, and Mt. Meru Game Lodge.
This chart should help you figure out the total direct cost of your stay, as well as the amount due including the fundraising target. We will help you set up a page, provide you with fundraising ideas, and be there for you every step of the way!
Download the comprehensive volunteer information pack!
Ask any questions you have to our volunteer coordinator at
Please fill out our volunteer application.
Someone will be in touch within 48 hours (power permitting) to follow up!
All volunteers have a fundraising expectation, of which at least 50% must be raised prior to arrival in the country. We will give you everything you need to run a great campaign!
Join us in Tanzania!
We can’t wait to have you, and we know you’ll have the time of your life.
Please download our comprehensive Partnership Prospectus for all the details on how to get involved with our work! We also encourage you to download our research pack, to truly understand why we work the way we do. .